Two Door Group’s favorite holiday happenings in Chicago
Just in time for the winter break, enjoy some of Chicago’s holiday festivities curated by Two Door Group. Happy Holidays!
- On Stage Classics: It’s a Wonderful Life
- Outdoor lights: Illumination at Morton Arboretum
- On Stage Parodies: Love….Actually?
- Cinema Traditions: 38th Annual Sing-A-Long at Music Box
- Pop-Ups: Christmas, Hanukkah and Chrismukkah Themed Bars
- Holiday Sleigh: Catch the Fleet through Dec 23
- Holiday Cheer: Glogg at Simon’s Tavern
1. On Stage Classics: It’s a Wonderful Life (Join Jen on Wed Dec 22!)
This interactive performance separates narration, sound effects and stage in a live retelling of the holiday classic as a 1940s radio broadcast. Submit an audiogram for the night of your performance. Join Jen and get tickets for wed Dec 22! Runs through Dec 31. (Victory Gardens Theater, 2433 N Lincoln Ave)
2. Outdoor lights: Illumination at Morton Arboretum
If, like us, you missed out on tickets to the Chicago Botanical Garden’s Lightscape and you’ve already done Zoo Lights, explore the 50 acres of the Morton Arboretum in this nature experience with color, light and sound. (Morton Arboretum Illumination, 4100 Illinois Route 53 in Lisle)
3. On Stage Parodies: Love… Actually?
(Join Adele on Thrs Dec 23!)
Whether you love Love Actually or love to hate Love Actually or have never seen Love Actually, this Off-Broadway parody promises you will actually LOVE this musical – making its Chicago debut. Join Adele and get tickets for Thrs Dec 23! Runs through Jan 2. (Apollo Theater, 2550 N Lincoln Ave)
4. Cinema Traditions: 38th Annual Sing-A-Long at Music Box (thru Dec 23rd)
The iconic Music Box Theater on Southport is back in person hosting its annual double feature of White Christmas and It’s A Wonderful Life and singing Christmas carols during the intermission – and they’re celebrating this tradition for its 38th year! The Music Box opened in 1929, making this its 92nd year in operation. Tickets area available through Dec 23. Enjoy one of the many restaurants, wine bars or empanada shops on Southport before or after the show! (Music Box Theater, 3733 N Southport Ave)
5. Pop Ups: Christmas, Hanukkah and Chrismukkah Themed Bars
We’re not sure when this trend started, but we’re here for the theme. Although these are popping up all over the city, take your pick on Clark Street (Wrigleyville) from these instagram-worthy bars drowning in Christmas spirit.
Plus, these new additions in 2021:
6. Holiday Sleigh: The CTA Christmas Train
There’s still time to catch the CTA’s Holiday Fleet through Dec 22 (Train) and Dec 23 (Bus). See the CTA’s schedule here to catch Santa, spread some holiday joy and support the delivery of food baskets to charitable agencies throughout the city.
7. Holiday Cheer: Glogg at Simon’s Tavern
What holiday season would be complete without a cup of glogg (mulled wine) at Simon’s Tavern in Andersonville? In 2020, Simon’s served glogg-to-go in liter jugs – which is back for 2021! Plus, we’re excited to see the long-standing neighborhood staple open again for holiday merriment. (Simon’s Tavern, 5210 N Clark St)